Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cupcake Quest...

CUPCAKE #1
...or "Why can't I find the perfect chocolate cupcake?"
As most of you know, within the last year we, as a family, decided to begin on the road to healthier eating. We began buying mostly organic and/or all natural foods. While the transition to this new lifestyle was fairly easy in most respects, there was one area of hold out...cake mix. For some reason, I have never been able to find the perfect recipe to duplicate the light, fluffy cake that you get from a mix. Recently, when I needed to make up some cupcakes for school, I read the label on the box and got sick over the amount of chemicals we were consuming just in that one little cupcake. So began my quest...

Of course, chocolate being my favorite flavor...I decided to begin there. This weekend I assembled a list of what appear to be the top 5 chocolate cupcake recipes from various places on the internet and from friends. Today I made #1 on the list.

While today's cupcakes smelled yummy baking the recipe was kind of a pain to make and the finished product is just not as good as I had hoped. I also tried out a new frosting recipe and was equally unthrilled with that. Not bad...just not GREAT!

So...my quest continues...I hope to entice my friends to try some of these this week and give me some feedback. In the meantime...cupcakes anyone?

No comments: